Saturday, March 24, 2007

B.A.R.F. Diary 1 - Meow's Triumph

In order to get the boys ready for B.A.R.F. diet, I need to switch them to be eating canned food only first so they can get used to the texture.

Tough job! Simply because the only cat who eats canned food in this household is Beans. Meow and Tigger just don't want any. 10 days after serving only canned food 2 times a day, Beans is in food heaven and Meow and Tigger have lost a lot of weight. Don't they eat? Yes, but only enough to get by...

Meow is the worst. He only takes 2 licks of the food and then walks away from it. Wasn't he hungry? Oh, yeah, very. He would stare at you intensively while you were watching TV with the look of " Don't you love me any more" on his face. He would sit by his food table and silently begs for food when you go into the kitchen. Not just any food, but dry food. If you ignore him, he would then start licking the food table and the empty bowls to show you how hungry he is, but as soon as you scoop some canned food into his bowl, he walks away.

The book says, " Starve them if you need to. Their survival instinct will eventually kick in and they will eat. " And I thought," Okay, Meow, if you were in a shelter, you wouldn't have a choice and I am sure you will survive."

Easy to say but soooooo hard to do! How do you say no? Those trusting eyes, so innocent!!

So, I caved in. After 10 days of struggling, after touching his " bonier" body, after picking him up and feeling the loss of weight. I caved in. Yes, I did. Now I mix dry food in the wet to get him to eat.

Kittydaddy told me," Too bad, he might have caved in first if you would have waited a couple more days."

Well, I am not about to take that chance. I guess Meow knows he has the upper hand.

Round one. Meow won. Mama lost.

Meow: Mom, where is my food? Don't you love me no more? Am I not your favorite child?

  • Beans: Mommy! Food! Food! Hurry up, mommy!

    Yummmm....food in the stomachs....

  • This was when they were done. As you can see. Meow barely touched his food.
    • So now he gets this...because he had earned it???
    • Meow: What do you mean " Upper Hand"?

    No comments: