Wednesday, April 25, 2007

CAT FOUNTAINS

When I was looking for a pet fountain, no one could tell me which one was better, so I got the fancy looking one - the Catit cat fountain. It was a beautiful fountain. With a big blue globe as the reservoir and drinking water coming out from top spreading all over the globe. KDD said, "It looks like a neon blue disco ball, can we have a party?" Well, the party...that we did have.....

Though he would have preferred a bigger drinking pool, Meow liked it okay. He accepted it and started drinking from it without a problem. Beans, Beans loved to lick the globe. In fact, that was the only way he would drink from it. He was drinking lots of water, he just enjoyed it very much. And Tigger, Tigger loved it too...maybe a bit too much....

Tigger loved it so much that he made his mission to flip the ball upside down. Not possible? Not in Monster T's dictionary, sorry. He always managed to flip the ball by grabbing its flow regulator( the flower on top). By the time I got home to see it, my wood floor would be soaked, the filter inside disappeared and a real fountain magically appeared in my living room.

So I took off the flow regulator. Fine, without it, water would only cover 1/3 of the globe. But, what the heck, as long as it gets the job done. " Now that he doesn't have a handle to grip on, I shouldn't have to worry", I thought.

WRONG!! That is if you are dealing with a normal cat. But with Tigger, he slipped his "fingers" underneath the ball and "FLIP"!! Off the ball went!!

Beans: Ah! So this was where the magic water come from....

This was what I had to do before I went to sleep every night. Just so if it flipped, or should I say "when" it does flip, my mat could soak up the water first....Clockwise - my sitting cushion, my bigger sitting cushion and my bathroom floor mat.....

You have to understand, my wood floor was peeling off because of the soaking it's been through. So was my coffee table which was the first victim....I couldn't sleep well at night because I was so paranoid, I was constantly getting up to check on the fountain......and finally...

I HAD ENOUGH!!!

I bought another fountain and hoped it would make a difference. A Petmate Fresh Flow!

It wasn't easy. Tigger took it apart the first night. But with this one, we could tape down the reservoir. So after a few incidents, including I came home only to fine the top and the filter had gone missing, we now can sleep at night without having to worry. If you look closely, you can see the fountain is back up to the corner where Tigger couldn't stick his fingers in. HA! I beat him. Hallelujah! Peace on earth!!

Here is the summary - both fountains have about the same amount on the reservoirs

Catit - Pros : pretty, cats like to lick the globe though I am a bit concerned about cleanliness because of it, filters water though filters are a bit pricey.

Cons : small and shallow water pool

Petmate - Pros: Water falls down the slide which cats love to drink from. Big water pool.

Cons:

1. Design is a bit stupid, their filter is behind their motor, which means motor is drawing in unfiltered water, which mean motor is filtering water.

2. I had to throw away the filter( thank god I use natural spring water) because only very little amount of water can pass through if filter is used, which makes the water pool looks like a dead pool, no appealing at all.

3. Wastes lots of water. Once water goes below motor level, while there is still lots of water left, motor starts to choke. We have to change water before it is needed.

4. Lots of hard to clean corners.

So there, I don't have a choice, but if you do, I hope this will help.

No comments: